The HIV-STD Counselor/Medical Assistant will provide patient care services under the direction of a licensed health care provider inclusive of culturally appropriate HIV/STD services to APLA Health & Wellness patients. In collaboration with prevention program staff, the HIV/STD Counselor/Medical Assistant will work to identify HIV positive individuals who are part of our prevention programs and who are not yet linked to HIV medical care, including newly diagnosed individuals, persons who know their HIV status but have never been engaged in care, and others who know their status and have dropped out of care to access medical care services.
The HIV-STD Counselor/Medical Assistant will perform administrative front office and clinical back office duties in the medical clinic, including submitting and tracking referrals, taking vital signs, preparing examining rooms, administering medications as ordered by a licensed healthcare provider, performing phlebotomy and other technical clinical functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
- The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or has a logical assignment to this position.Greets and register patients when needed; assists them with completion of necessary forms; answers telephones and schedules appointments; retrieves medical files; maintains medical records and files.
- Provide pre/post test client-centered HIV counseling.
- Conduct HIV/STD risk assessments.
- Provide HIV/STD risk reduction and prevention coaching/counseling.
- Prepares treatment rooms, ensuring that rooms are neat and clean, and stocked with the necessary supplies and equipment for patient examination; maintains sanitary and sterile supplies and equipment.Interviews patients to obtain basic medical information and history; measures and records vital signs, height, weight and body mass index (BMI); prepares medical records for provider review.