Surgical Medical Assistant
San Diego, CA 92123
Well Established General Surgery Office in Kearny Mesa area is currently hiring for an experienced Medical Assistant! Ideally looking for someone with surgery experience as well as surgery scheduling experience.
This is a temporary position covering for a leave of absence for 3-6 months but could be extended or potentially become permanent for the right person.
- Courteously escort patients from the waiting room to the exam room;
- Record patient data prior to each physician visit, including, but not limited to, vital signs, height, weight, allergies, and medication changes;
- Obtain all necessary patient records as required by physician;
- Conduct patient assessment and obtain pertinent medical information for the physician;
- Prepare and stock the exam rooms, order supplies as needed, and maintain/control drug samples;
- Assist physicians with exams and procedures as requested;
- Remove sutures, staples, and drains post-operatively, and change dressings as needed;
- Set up for procedures, including, but not limited to, excisions, anoscopies, tissue expansions, wound debridement, and drain removals;
- Maintain all exam room disinfection protocols;
- Provide patients will all pre-operative instructions, ensure completion of all necessary pre-operative paperwork and tests prior to surgery;
- Perform proper sterilization procedures for all instruments, including documentation, and prepare surgery packs and trays;
- Triage incoming patient phone calls and return all phone calls by the end of the day;
- Telephone in prescriptions and make other patient phone calls as required or directed by physician;
- Schedule patient surgeries, tests, procedures, and hospital admissions, and provide follow up of receipt of test results;
- Obtain referrals, pre-authorizations, and pre-certifications as necessary for surgeries, tests, procedures, and referrals to other physicians
- Maintain physician schedule, including miscellaneous appointments and meetings.
- Maintain a clean work area and restock supply area as needed.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Certificate of graduation from an accredited program for medical assistants required.
- Minimum of two years of experience as a medical assistant in surgery office
- Ideally surgery scheduling experience as well
Schedule: M-F 8:30am-5pm
Pay: $16-$18 DOE